Sunday, December 1, 2013

Living on Support - Part 1

This is an issue many of us missionaries struggle with.  If we don't, we know someone in our family who does not understand why we would not work "normal" jobs, though we do work temp jobs and bi-vocationally sometimes... So, I thought, why don't I share with everyone some of the scripture and helps that have been shared with me since 2008 when my husband and I began looking into this type of life.


Jesus received support for His earthly ministry:
Luke 8:1-3 "Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him,  and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means."


Paul received support from Philippi:
Philippians 4:16-19 "Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.

and from Phoebe:
Romans 16:1-2  "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well."

and Paul taught others to support the ministry:
Galatians 6:6 "Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches."

John the Beloved wrote to fellow Christians: 
3 John 1:5-8 "Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth."

And God set up this system for the Levites, the pastors, teachers, and missionaries of the OT:
Numbers 18:21-24 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting. From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die.  It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites.  Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites'."

There are so many other verse that have brought me comfort as we continue to live the missionary use.  I will be sure to share more with everyone later.  I trust these help, and that they will aid you as you head out on your ministry and serve the Lord to where He has called you.

~ Michelle






No comments:

Post a Comment